- Saturday, January 05, 2013 @ 02:31 PM
- By: Super User
Uncle Ned's offers On-Site Estate Sales to assist in emptying/selling of the actual physical inventory of an estate. This takes place directly in the house. Whether it is because of a loved one's passing, moving across country, downsizing or combining multiple households, UNCLES can help!
The first step:
Call or email us. We will ask a few questions about the size of the estate, what the desired timeline is, and who is involved. (Condominiums must have approval from the association board to allow such a sale to take place.) If we determine a sale could be hosted we will then schedule with you a meeting directly at the sale location (no charge).
- we will do a quick tour of the merchandise available and let you know if and when we can do the sale
- our fees are based on a percentage of the projected sales fees are then subtracted from the gross sales at the end of the sale (depends on amount of merchandise to prepare and cleanliness of location)
- the client will pay for the advertising costs up front (done in the local paper, UNCLES prepares the ad for you), we also advertise on our Facebook page and on Craigslist
The most important thing to know is: DO NOT THROW ANYTHING OUT BEFORE A SALE! Almost everything can be sold and reused! Let UNCLES, LLC determine if it should be sold or tossed.
- length of set-up depends on the size of the estate
- we will set out all items from attics, basements, crawl spaces, garages, and closets
- item pricing: we strive to obtain the best price and that there are few items left at the end of the sale - pricing is a delicate combination of current market pricing, antique value, timing, interested customer (and then good old fashioned haggling during the sale)
The client is requested to not be present during set up times and during the actual sale days, as UNCLES has found it is easier and faster to prepare the sale and be more thorough without the client reminiscing or interjecting. The actual sale days sometimes can be nerve-racking to see things being sold and leaving the house.
Before the sale:
- we welcome you, the client, to walk through the set up sale prior to opening to the public, this is done to assure that you have kept all memories/items you wish to keep and to get a view of the set up sale
- UNCLES sets aside any personal paperwork, photos, etc. that we think the client needs to process/keep
- usually 2 days long (depends on the amount of merchandise to liquidate)
- first day will be open usually for 6 or 7 hours to the public (ie: 10-4/5), items selling at marked price with a minimum of haggling on the pricing and bids accepted for items over $50
- second/final day is usually opened to the public for 4-7 hours (ie: 10-2/5), with remaining unsold items 1/2 off the original marked price, possible aggressive haggling to empty estate and winning bid items to be picked up
After the sale:
- UNCLES will empty the remaining unsold items as decided at contract signing (continued consignment for larger/better pieces at our store, donation to charity for some items, client keeps and handles unsold items ... or a combination)
- we will give the house a quick once over clean (Uncles, LLC can be hired for a full clean after sale at an additional fee)
- Payments: a general recap of the sale will be sent to client's address after the close of sale (close of sale = last day we are working in the house). There is a minimum of 15 business days for paperwork and processing and may take longer depending on the situation. This will include the check for the proceeds and a listing of some of the larger items sold and the prices at which they sold, any donation receipts and the current consignment inventory of items that were taken to the store (if this option is selected).
UNCLES, LLC Estate Sales/Moving Sales/Downsizing Sales are done to your needs. From 'just get it done and leave me alone' to 'please let me know everything Uncles is doing,' UNCLES will work with you to your comfort level.